If you are new to theBarronBlog, I encourage you to subscribe either by RSS feed or by email so you don’t miss anything. Both are to the right below my picture.
Commercial Real Estate Systems. The word is an anomaly. While you may not be able to define what a system is – you need them. You need them badly. They can make you more effective. They can make you more money. They can shave hours off your week – hours you can give to your family or a worthy cause. Let me share with you what I mean.
I have two sons (and a little 3-year-old princess). They are both playing football. Tonight, I was at the 9-year-old’s practice. As I watched the practice, the coaches spent 80% of the practice putting in the system. 20% running the plays. Now you know what I mean, don’t you. Think about a football team. Every player has a specific role. They specialize. My son is the quarterback because he is an intellectual. He knows where everyone should be. He also has the smallest butt on the team. It would be ludicrous to make him a lineman. His coaches spent 80% of the practice putting in the system because success between the hedges comes from a group of individuals working seamlessly as a team. The sum can be so much greater than the parts. Magic!
So should your business be! Here are the five main benefits to systematizing your business:
- Systems allow you to break a process down to its smallest tasks. This is so important. This is what I go through with all my coaching clients. Most leaders…most entrepreneurs…most of you, are big picture oriented. The details are stifling. I know they are for me. The simple act of sitting down with your team and breaking a process down to its most detailed parts has tremendous value.
- Systems allow you to lead effectively by delegating. Huge! The primary role of a leader is to ensure the success of the team. To do that, team members must understand their roles. Once you go through the task of breaking a process down to its smallest tasks, those tasks are delegated to the team member with the most fitting skill set. You just made your life easier.
- Systems allow you to hire/fire better. This is a no-brainer. Once you systematize your business, you have a better understanding of the skill sets you need in place. Think of my son’s football team. The coaches would have been foolish to draft a team full of little fast guys. The coach understands the system he wants to run. So he drafts the same. Go and do likewise!
- Systems allow the team to execute. This is where you see your team come to life. The system is in place so just execute. This allows for efficiency and speed. If you don’t get the results you want, change the system.
- Systems allow the leader to focus on high dollar activities. From my chair, this is the greatest benefit of systematizing your business. When your team knows the play and their roles, then the leader can focus on just the things that only the leader can do. This is the sweet spot. This is where you can see exponential growth. You should have goose bumps right now.
So join the conversation. What processes in your business could you systematize? How would you do it?